Friday, May 24, 2013

This guy

http://kirundraws.blogspot.com/

So this is the dude I was talking to you about earlier.

Here's some stuff he's doing with the toon shader in maya:


He also does stuff in flash:


AND AND AND...I think he's is in Philly o.0 - go talk to him :D

but seriously...I thinik this would be a great thing to integrate into some workflow. When I was doing my movie I thought a lot: "man, I wish someone could just draw out the indicated shapes for me on each frame and I can just go in there and give it final touches.

well...with this, final touches may not even be needed, if in 3d- just render and done. we could import the movie into flash for the more 2d type transitions, etc and it would just make everything faster and easier.

From the quick research I've done, this is inded a cel-shading method, so similar to Wind Waker. In maya, the shader is apparantly called "toon-shader". I guess it's also similar to how Southpark renders their stuff to appear 2d, but it really is 3d.

We don't have to do it for S2TM, but I think it's something to consider.

to give you a perspective all the work I did on my film as far as production goes, I did in about three months. But it was an intense three months- it was about 18 hour workdays for two months and then 20 hr workdays mixed in with some weird 22.5 hr work days during the last two weeks- and I still didn't finish my film.

So if we could bring this in it might be possible to finish this ~7min film of yours in a year of hard production, but we need to get serious about this and try and set up some schedule similar to tv where it's like : "well...that could've been better, but....not time".

In fact, even Bret in senior project was telling us towards the end when whe was giving us animation notes, about CBBs (Could Be Betters), which are shots that CBB, but...not time.

So I dunno something to mull over.

I'm brushing up a bit on the maya I did learn while at CCa. Which is actually kind of fun, since I feel I know a bit more about animation than when I was taking those 3d classes.

Anyway, later and...comment!

PLEASE.


No comments:

Post a Comment