Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Some Response

I've read it a couple times, now.  Beautifully done.  I don't know what other ideas you were considering for the ending, but honestly at this point I feel it's a matter of finding the right ways to tell the story visually, and hopefully being able to keep the elegance and the emotional vibes in the visual realm.

I appreciate that there were no morals shoved down my throat and nobody had to explain to me what they were feeling, or what was going on in their heads.  Even Brave, which I just saw yesterday, couldn't pull that off.

I don't understand the Up comparisons other people were giving you.  The only part I could see resembling that in the slightest is the very beginning, where they're reading the book together and fantasizing about the possibilities of their own adventure.  I got a more methodical, almost spacey vibe to it, like that feeling of how children are often very absorbed in their own immediate worlds without much concern for the bigger picture, like a sad nostalgia.  

I also like how you show Sky's responsibility toward his overworked family in the end, washing the dishes and taking out the trash, like he was sort of forced into growing up faster than he should have in order to maintain the stability of his family, which ties nicely into how seriously he treats the moon trip, despite it being a childish pursuit that doesn't really warrant that level of "adult" seriousness.  It's a well done conflict between the conflicting natures of childhood and adulthood, and that tug of war between the two.

I apologize if that doesn't completely make sense!  I've been struggling with figuring out how to word that in a way which accurately communicates my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment